Springtime is a great time of the year to kick off picnic season in most parts of the country. Since National Picnic Day is this Saturday, April 23, why not celebrate with a picnic of your own? Regardless of whether you have a small and casual picnic or throw a huge neighborhood affair, here are a few recipes that you can bring to the (picnic) table this weekend.
Hot Sauce Bean & Cheese Dip Recipe
This one is a little bit spicy thanks to the hot sauce of your choice and chopped green chile peppers. Don’t forget the chips for dipping!
• ½ teaspoon of your favorite hot sauce
• 1 ¾ cups diced tomatoes
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
• ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
• 1 can of pinto beans (16oz), rinsed and drained
• 1 can refried beans (16oz)
• ½ cup chopped green chiles
• ¾ cup shredded cheese
• Chips for dipping
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and coat a 1 ½ quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine about half of your tomatoes (approx. 1 cup) with hot sauce, salt, cumin, oregano, pinto beans, refried beans, and green chiles.
3. Spoon tomato mixture into casserole dish, and top with shredded cheese.
4. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until cheese has melted.
5. Top with remaining tomatoes and serve with chips.
Ole Ray’s Classic Gold Deviled Eggs
These deviled eggs are a new take on an old classic, swapping out your standard yellow mustard for Ole Ray’s Classic Gold BBQ Sauce. This BBQ and Cooking Sauce (plus Ole Ray’s Rubb-It Dry Rub) add a new dimension to this picnic staple.
• A dozen eggs, hardboiled
• ½ cup mayonnaise
• 2 teaspoons white vinegar
• 2 teaspoons Ole Ray’s Classic Gold BBQ and Cooking Sauce
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• Ole Ray’s Rubb-It Dry Rub for garnish
1. Peel the hardboiled eggs and discard the eggshells.
2. Slice eggs in half, lengthwise. Remove the yolks and save them in a large bowl.
3. Place the egg whites on a serving platter.
4. With a fork, mash the yolks into a fine crumble.
5. Add mayo, vinegar, Ole Ray’s Classic Gold BBQ and Cooking Sauce, and salt, and mix well.
6. Spoon the yolk mixture into the egg whites.
7. Sprinkle with Ole Ray’s Rubb It Dry Rub and serve.
Margaritaville’s Mango Calypso Burgers
Whether you’re hosting a picnic, barbecue, cook-out, or shindig, it’s a great excuse to fire up the grill. These burgers feature Margaritaville’s Mango BBQ Sauce plus their Calypso Rub for a tropical new twist on flavor.
• 1 ½ lbs. ground beef
• 4 tablespoons Margaritaville Mango BBQ Sauce
• 1 ½ tablespoons Margaritaville Calypso Rub
• ¼ cup breadcrumbs
• 4 hamburger buns
• Cheese (optional)
1. Preheat grill to medium.
2. Combine ground beef, BBQ sauce, rub and breadcrumbs in a small bowl and mix well.
3. Form beef mixture into 4 patties.
4. Grill patties on the grill to desired level of doneness. And if you want, also top with cheese.
5. Serve on hamburger buns.
If you try out any of these recipes—or have a winning recipe of your own that incorporates your favorite hot sauce or BBQ sauce—let us know by sharing it on Facebook or Twitter! Happy National Picnic Day!