Today's topic is Bravado Spice Company's Pineapple and Habanero hot sauce; for a change of pace, this review is for the mild bunch (this would include my long-suffering wife, Cheryl). When Cheryl brought the sauce home, I was suspicious because it has one of my few ingredients which I avoid. (bananas, sweet potatoes, and pineapples are on this dreaded ingredient list). This hot sauce is surprising to me in several ways. First off, the pineapple is listed as the first ingredient yet this sauce is not aggressively sweet and sour like I was expecting. Secondly, the habanero pepper (an ingredient on my will-eat list) mash is the second ingredient but, as I mentioned above, this is a mild hot sauce. It seems that the amount of habanero pepper alleviates the pineapple flavor and the pineapple cuts the habanero heat. Furthermore, this hot sauce is also distinctive in that it is yellow instead of the more traditional red color. This is probably because of the presence of yellow bell pepper (another preferred ingredient of mine). Finally, there is also a distinct garlic tang that moves to the forefront after the small amount of heat passes.
Over all, this is an excellent hot sauce. You can use it as an introduction to the wonderful world of chilies for the neophytes that you may have in your inner circle (aka Cheryl). It has an almost delicate flavor that would be better utilized in applications where you will be able to enjoy the subtleties. I would recommend using this sauce on shrimp, clams, any kind of white fish (e.g., tilapia, halibut, sea bass), salads or on grilled, but not smoked, chicken. I did note that the label of this sauce says that it is 100% vegan (but then most sauces are) so in keeping with that mode, here is a vegan recipe for those who prefer a vegan or vegetarian lifestyle.
Chunky Black Bean Salsa
- 5 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- ½ cup minced cilantro
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- ¾ cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup canned diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained
- ¼ cup chopped ripe olives
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onions
- ½ cup Italian salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons Bravado Spice Co. Pineapple & Habanero hot sauce
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
2. Chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour (ideally, let it chill overnight as this will get the flavors to marry better).
3. Serve with baked chips or chips that are fried in vegetable oil.